Bitly(bit.ly), the Popular URL shortening service, has issued an urgent security warning about a security breach that exposed account's credentials.
The company says they found no evidence suggesting that any accounts have been accessed by the intruders. However, as a precaution, the company has disconnected users' facebook and twitter accounts.
"We invalidated all credentials within Facebook and Twitter" the blog post reads.
Although the social media accounts appear to be connected with bitly account, users won't be able to publish anything until they reconnect the accounts.
Users are advised to take the following steps to reset their OAuth tokens and API Keys:
1) Log in to your account and click on ‘Your Settings,’ then the ‘Advanced’ tab.Bitly says "they have already taken proactive measures to secure all paths that led to the compromise".
2) At the bottom of the ‘Advanced’ tab, select ‘Reset’ next to ‘Legacy API key.’
3) Copy down your new API key and change it in all applications. These can include social publishers, share buttons and mobile apps.
4) Go to the ‘Profile’ tab and reset your password.
5) Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can check which accounts are connected under the ‘Connected Accounts’ tab in ‘Your Settings.’